We will be covering, broadly, the following themes in tomorrow’sdiscussion:
I The Judgement, Its Antecedents and Outcomes -
- Evolution of details of judges assets coming into the public domain starting from 1997 Resolution
- What is the content of the 1997 Resolution and is the intention behind reflected adequately in the judgment?
- The CIC and High Court judgments- core issues raised
- Reactions in the Media and from the Judiciary and other possible effects
II Supreme Court Jurisprudence on Declaration of Assets and Other Outcomes
- Is the Supreme Court bound by its own decisions regarding declaration of assets by election candidates under the Representation of People Act? ( *Primary Reading: SCAORA*)
- Independence of the Judiciary and Separation of Powers, Right to Privacy and the Right to Information Act- A curious interplay
- The Conflict of Interest v. Wealth Accumulation debate- what all does a judge have to disclose? (in connection with the US Statues)
III Judges Assets Declaration Overseas
- A comparison between the Ethics in Government Act, 1978 and Judicial Disclosure Responsibility Act, 2007 (USA) which mandates disclosure and the current judgment
- Whether these principles should be incorporated into our system of disclosure given the varied nature of the judiciary in India and the US.
A copy of the CIC order can be found here:http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/FB-06012009-01.pdf